Regional Workshops: Detroit
Michigan Historic Preservation Network
Conserve Energy – Preserve Resources – Create Sustainable Jobs
FREE Plaster Repair–Preservation Trades Training
March 23–March 27, 2015
Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.) Building
1942 Grand River Avenue, Detroit, MI 48226
In an intensive five-day workshop, students will learn the fundamentals of traditional plaster repair. This workshop seeks to expand the skills of workers with some existing trades knowledge rather than introduce individuals with no previous trade experience. Trainees will work with traditional building materials under the guidance of trained preservation craftspeople. The training will be conducted in partnership with Integrity Building Group.
Prospective trainees need to:
1. have an interest in pursuing historic preservation work as a vocation or avocation.
2. possess appropriate fine motor skill abilities and physical strength to successfully complete the work of the class.
3. agree to follow all safety instructions, and use all available safety and personal protection clothing and equipment as instructed.
4. sign a release of liability form and a model release—photos and video from the training may be used to promote preservation trades training both within Michigan and elsewhere.
5. commit to the full five-day workshop and be on-site by 9:00 am each day.
6. be at least 18 years old.
7. bring a lunch each day.
The workshop will provide:
1. all necessary tools – trainees may bring their own tools but they should be clearly marked.
2. EPA RRP Lead Renovator Initial Course, qualifying the trainee as a Certified Renovator (if trainee is not currently certified).
3. safety gear as needed.
4. refreshments each day.
Application must be received by: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 5:00 p.m.
Applications may be e-mailed, faxed, or mailed.
By e-mail: with an attachment to email@example.com
By fax: Attn: “Detroit Plaster Workshop” to 517.371.9090
By mail: Allow time for mailing to: MHPN,
Attn: “Detroit Plaster Workshop,” 313 E Grand River, Lansing, MI 48906
Space is limited. Trainees will be chosen by Friday, March 13th, 2015.
A waiting list will be kept. Questions? Please address inquiries to “Detroit Plaster Workshop” at MHPN: firstname.lastname@example.org or 517.371.8080.
The workshop is free thanks to our sponsors:
Michigan State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO), Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA), the Michigan Historic Preservation Network, and Integrity Building Group